Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Found good set of icons

Re: Found good set of icons

?:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\Graphics\icons\
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

That's with the full version of Visual Studio. With the Express Editions, after you register it explains how to get the royalty free icons and even has links.
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

Thanks to both of you

Lively Member

Good links! Very interesting

No place like 127.0.0.1 eyeRmonkey's Avatar

I also just found this in my Visual Studio 2005 folder:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\VS2005ImageLibrary

There is a ZIP file with a ton of graphics and icons. I have Visual Studio 2005 Pro, so I don't know which versions it comes with.
    Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition (.NET Framework 2.0)
    ~ VB .NET Links: Visual Basic 6 to .NET Function Equivalents (Thread) | Refactor! (White Paper) | Easy Control for Wizard Forms | Making A Proper UI For WinForms | Graphics & GDI+ Tutorial | Websites For Free Icons
    ~ QUOTE: Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rich Cook

~ eyeRmonkey.com

Anyone know if those icons I listed above are copyrighted or if I can use them in my apps?
    ~ VB .NET Links: Visual Basic 6 to .NET Function Equivalents (Thread) | Refactor! (White Paper) | Easy Control for Wizard Forms | Making A Proper UI For WinForms | Graphics & GDI+ Tutorial | Websites For Free Icons
    ~ QUOTE: Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rich Cook

~ eyeRmonkey.com

VisualStudio 2003 includes icons but they're from the Windows 3.1 days. Those are newer, nicer ones and it has been mentioned on this forum (I thought it was mentione din this thread but I don't feel like re-reading everything, lol).

Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

OK it was indeed a zip file... no wonder I couldn't find it..
    unzipped it and have some icons... the other links are great too..

How about the license for the icons I mentioned above? Does anyone know anything about those?

~ eyeRmonkey.com

Quote Originally Posted by eyeRmonkey
    How about the license for the icons I mentioned above? Does anyone know anything about those?
    They're for you to use. Since you paid for visual studio, I would image that you can use those without issue

Quote Originally Posted by kasracer
    They're for you to use. Since you paid for visual studio, I would image that you can use those without issue
    I figured that but I wasn't sure. They look like all the icons that Visual Studio uses (in the IDE) so I wasn't sure if they were their for that purpose or for our use. It makes more sense that they would be compiled into the program, so the only real reason they would be in a ZIP file is for our use.

~ eyeRmonkey.com

I figured I would consolidate this thread down into one post. If you have anything to add feel free to reply to the thread and let me know.

Websites:
    • FamFamFam.com (http://www.famfamfam.com/)
    • VB Corner (http://www.vbcorner.net/download_icons.htm)
    • vbAccelerator (http://vbaccelerator.com/home/Resources/Graphics_Library/Icons/index.asp)

Files:
    • Visual Studio 2003: ...\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\Graphics\icons\
    • Visual Studio 2005: ...\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\VS2005ImageLibrary

Others:
    • Register a copy of Visual Studio Express and get free icons (worked for some people)
    Last edited by eyeRmonkey; Apr 19th, 2006 at 05:24 PM.

~ eyeRmonkey.com

When you register your copy of Visual Studio Express 2005, these icons, are they the same as the ones you get with Visual Studio Standard/Pro 2005?
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    When you register your copy of Visual Studio Express 2005, these icons, are they the same as the ones you get with Visual Studio Standard/Pro 2005?
    No, they're different and I believe you can register Standard, Pro, and Team System to still get them.

The registration icons are nice but there are so few of them that they're next to useless. Any reasonably-sized project will require several more icons than those sets provide that you would need to find other icons that match, which will be hard to do without having to pay. There are quite a few icons in total but it's just the same few in various different sizes and themes, so I'm quite sure that they're designed primarily as a taster to get you interested enough to fork out for the full sets.

The full sets of the sample icons they provide? So its a marketing gimmick basically?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I think the set from FamFamFam is the perfect size. They are in PNG format, but that isn't really a problem. After that you just need to make/find an icon to use as your EXE icon and form icon and you are set.

~ eyeRmonkey.com

yep...now i make my own icons...by the way this is the last one i made...i needed an user icon...so i made this...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Help keep this forum clean: Remember to mark your thread as resolved · Search before you post · Remember to rate posts that help

VS2010: Visual Studio 2010 Keybinding Posters
    · Service Pack 1
    Tools: GhostDoc - automatically generates XML documentation comments
    · NuGet package Manager · PowerCommands IDE extensions
    Source Control: ankhsvn - integration for SVN
    · Windows Shell Extension for Subversion

Development Laptop: Intel Core i5 430M 2.26 GHz @ 2.53 GHz
    · 4096 MB, DDR3 PC3-8500F (533 MHz), Kingston · ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 · 15.6 @ 16:9, 1366x768 pixel, HD LED LCD

I follow:
    JoelOnSoftware - A weblog by Joel Spolsky, a programmer working in New York City, about software and software companies
    ScottGu's Blog - Scott Guthrie works for Microsoft as the Product Manager of the .NET Framework
    Portugal-a-Programar - Portuguese Developers Community
    .NET Rocks! - is a weekly Internet audio talk show for .NET Developers.

Programming Languages:
    C#
    · VB.NET · JAVA · PHP · Javascript
    Other:
    XML
    · HTML · CSS · JQuery · SQL

*** Proudly Portuguese ***

What are you using to create your icons?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I use http://free-icon-editor.com/ (IconoMaker). If you register (in the top right of the page) then it is free. Just give them a fake email and you are set. It is really a good program in my opinion.

~ eyeRmonkey.com

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    What are you using to create your icons?
    photoshop...
    Help keep this forum clean: Remember to mark your thread as resolved · Search before you post · Remember to rate posts that help

VS2010: Visual Studio 2010 Keybinding Posters
    · Service Pack 1
    Tools: GhostDoc - automatically generates XML documentation comments
    · NuGet package Manager · PowerCommands IDE extensions
    Source Control: ankhsvn - integration for SVN
    · Windows Shell Extension for Subversion

Development Laptop: Intel Core i5 430M 2.26 GHz @ 2.53 GHz
    · 4096 MB, DDR3 PC3-8500F (533 MHz), Kingston · ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 · 15.6 @ 16:9, 1366x768 pixel, HD LED LCD

I follow:
    JoelOnSoftware - A weblog by Joel Spolsky, a programmer working in New York City, about software and software companies
    ScottGu's Blog - Scott Guthrie works for Microsoft as the Product Manager of the .NET Framework
    Portugal-a-Programar - Portuguese Developers Community
    .NET Rocks! - is a weekly Internet audio talk show for .NET Developers.

Programming Languages:
    C#
    · VB.NET · JAVA · PHP · Javascript
    Other:
    XML
    · HTML · CSS · JQuery · SQL

*** Proudly Portuguese ***

it seems Microsoft really jammed to include etched controls in .NET,for which reason we dont know!!

but here are my 5 cents to this thread.
    On Addition to drawing etched lines by code,thirdparty controls or by use of groupbox work around.
    One can use a Label, set Autosize to false,Borderstyle to Fixed3D,hieght to 2 pixels.(With this, one wont have a bend at the end of the line like if you use a group box )
    The 1st link below can also help you to draw an etched box around your controls and the second link can help you etch your lables or change its borderstyles.

http://www.vb-helper.com/howto_net_d...er_styles.html
    http://www.vb-fun.de/cgi-bin/loadfra.../tip0093.shtml
    Last edited by skea; May 5th, 2006 at 02:19 AM.

Its better that one draws an application icon depending on the theme of the project or maybe company, but does any one know where i could get some good free application exe icons? i will be gratefull.

Quote Originally Posted by zuperman
    made some modifications
    great splash!

could you helpme with mine i need to make one but dont know how to code it im useing vb.net 2003 do you have the code for the slapsh screen. the idea the slpash screen then show the login form. really need it.
    Help reduce GLOBAL Warming!
    Take a peek at http://www.omnilife.com/videos/calentamiento_global.php

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney
    That line is obviously a GroupBox with the Height set to 2 because you can see on the far right end that the border for the right side is trying to be drawn (there's a little spot of grey on the white). I know this because I've previously used the same technique to get the same effect. The XPLine control in the XP Common Controls library draws a bevelled line like that without that issue. Also, you can simply use GDI+ to draw two lines, one grey and one white (or better ControlDark and Window), offset by one pixel. The fact that you can use GDI+ to get that effect and much more besides is the reason that there is no standard line control.
    I just use the ControlPaint class. Lets you paint borders and lines. It also lets you paint common controls. It's designed to work within a rectangle (i.e. it properly offsets the right and bottom sides by the correct ammount) so that the entire border is drawn when providing a control's entire drawing area.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by rguifarro
    great splash!

could you helpme with mine i need to make one but dont know how to code it im useing vb.net 2003 do you have the code for the slapsh screen. the idea the slpash screen then show the login form. really need it.
    [RESOLVED] Splash Screen Help

hope this helps..

Frenzied Member

Found these really great icons, (I've attached a couple of examples)

This comes in an installer package and are completely free to use for personal and public use as far as I know. They look ace although are 128 x 128 so may be a little big for some apps but can easily be reduced.

http://www.download.com/PNG-Package-...77108.html?v=1

I did a full spyware, anti-virus scan on the files and found nothing so I hope there's nothing wrong with the file.

Stim
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Stim

Free VB.NET Book Chapter
    Visual Basic 2005 Cookbook Sample Chapter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123